山东自考英语二Unit-15

Unit15Text A
Four Minutes That Get You Hired面试的秘诀
To get the right job,learn to make the right impression
要想获得满意的工作,就要学会留下最好的印象
The 28-year-old Bay Stater spent six years working at night while she attended college during the day.
六年来,28岁的贝?斯黛特白天上大学,晚上工作。
When she finally graduated, she wanted to get a teaching possession at a nearby elementary school in Boston.
毕业后她想在波士顿附近的一所小学里谋求一份教书的工作。
She got an interview with the headmaster after sending a resume.
寄出简历之后,她得到了校长给她面试的机会。
“I noticed a tiny hole in my stockings that morning,”
"那天早晨,我注意到长简袜上有个小洞,"
she said. “I thought about changing, but I knew I’d be late if I did.
她回忆说,“我想要换一双,但觉得要是换的话,就要迟到了。
By the time I got to the interview, the hole had stretched from my ankle to my knee.
我到达面试地点时,袜子上的小洞从脚踝一直破到了膝盖。
I walked in and immediately apologized for not looking my best.
我进去后,立刻为自己的糟糕形象向校长道歉。
I spent the rest of the time trying to sit in a way that he couldn’t see the hole.”
接下来,我努力坐得让校长看不见这个小洞。”
The likely teacher didn’t get that job.
结果,她想当老师却没有得到这份工作。
In fact, one of her friends told her the headmaster’s only comment was: “if a person doesn’t take the time to present her best image at an interview, what kind of teacher is she going to be?”
实际上,她朋友告诉她校长对她的惟一评价是"如果一个人在面试中不花点时间来展示她最好的形象的话,她会是一个怎样的老师呢?"
First impressions are often lasting ones.
第一印象通常是持久的。
This means that if you’re viewed positively within the first four critical minutes, the person you’ve met will likely assume everything you do is positive.
也就是说,如果你在最初的关键四分钟内能给别人留下好印象的话,你所遇到的这个人就很可能会以为你做事总能令人满意。
Four minutes! Studies tell us that’s the crucial period in which impressions are formed by someone we’ve just met.
四分钟!研究表明,就是在这关键的四分钟内,我们刚刚邂逅的人形成了对我们的印象。
Within only ten seconds, that person will begin to make judgments about our professionalism, social class, morals and intelligence.
仅仅在十秒中内,他就开始对我们的职业特性、社会阶层、道德品质、智力才能进行判断。
People tend to focus on what they see, on what they hear, and on our actual words.
人们倾向把注意力集中在他们所看见的、所听到的及我们实际说的话上。
Most employers

believe that those who look as if they care about themselves are more likely to care about their jobs.
大多数雇主认为那些看起来似乎在乎自己形象的人更可能在乎自己的工作。
We know “it’s what’s inside that counts,” but research shows that physically attractive people are generally regarded by employers as more intelligent, likable and creditable.
虽然都知道"内在品质是最重要的",然而研究表明,雇主一般认为外表引人注目的人更有才能、更惹人喜爱、更值得信赖。
Your goal should be to come across in the best possible way – attractive in the way you dress, in your gestures and facial expressions and in your speech.
因此,你应该以最亮丽的形象,即用你的着装方式、手势姿态、面部表情、言谈话语来吸引人。
Here’s how to make those four crucial minutes count:
下面的一些方法可以让你充分利用这四分钟,成功地达到自己的目标。
Look your best. It signals success.
展示最好的形象。这是成功的信号。
Studies have linked clothing consciousness to higher self-esteem and job satisfaction.
研究表明,一个人的衣着意识是同他较强的自尊心和工作的满意程度成正比的。
Yet many people fail to understand the importance of presenting a professional image.
然而,很多人不了解展示职业形象的重要性。
Forget about personal style.
丢掉个人风格。
At work, your clothes must convey the message that you are competent, reliable and authoritative.
工作中,衣着必须传达出你有能力、可信任、具有权威等信息。
Dress for the job you want, not the job you have.
为想要工作着装,而不是为已有的工作着装。
If you’re to have an interview at a company you’ve never visited and aren’t sure what to wear, send for a copy of its annual report and study what the employees pictured are wearing, or drop by ahead of time to see how they dress. 如果你要去一家从没去过的公司面试,但不知道穿什么好,向这家公司要一份年度报告,研究一下照片上雇员的穿着,或者提前到这家公司去看看他们是怎么穿衣打扮的。
Monitor your body language. 控制身体语言。
How you move and gesture will greatly influence an interviewer’s first impression of you.
你的一举一动都会在很大程度上影响面试者对你的印象。
In an influential study of communications, psychologist Albert Mehrabian discovered that seven percent of any message about our feelings and attitudes comes from the words we use, 38 percent from our voice, and a surprising 55percent from our facial expressions.
在一项影响深远的关于交往的研究中,心理学家阿尔伯特?梅赫拉比恩发现:7%的情感和态度的信息来自说话时用的词语,38%来自声音,令人吃惊的是,55%的来自面部表情。
In fact, when our facial expressio

n or tone of voice conflicts with our words, the listener will typically put more weight on the nonverbal message.
实际上,面部表情或语调同话语矛盾时,听者通常更注重非语言信息。
To make your first encounter a positive one, start with a firm handshake.
为了第一次面试成功,握手要坚定有力。
If the interviewer doesn’t initiate the gesture, offer your hand first.
如果面试者没有主动和你握手,那么你就先伸出手来。
Whenever you have a choice of seats, select a chair beside his or her desk, as opposed to one across from it.
如果有可能选择座位,就坐在他桌旁的椅子上,而不要坐在他桌子的对面。
If you must sit facing the desk, shift your chair slightly as you sit down, or angle your body in the chair so you’re not directly in front of your interviewer.
如果必须坐在桌子对面,那么坐下时,稍微移一下椅子,或者改变一下身体的角度,这样就不会直接面对面试者了。
Monitor your body language to make sure you don’t seem too desperate for the job, or too eager to please.
控制身体语言,确保你显得并不过分急需这份工作,也不急于迎合别人。
Good eye contact is also important. 良好的目光接触也很重要。
One study found that job applicants who make more eye contact are perceived as more careful, dependable, confident and responsible.
一项研究发现,工作申请人使用目光交流越多,雇主就越会认为他更认真、更可靠、更自信、更有责任感。
Say what you mean. 表明意图。
Make the first favorable impression by making your works consistent with your body language and appearance.
保持话语同身体语言和面部表情一致,这可以确保你有利的第一印象。
If they are in conflict, your mixed messages are bound to confuse your interviewers.
如果不一致的话,混杂的信息一定会让面试者感到困惑。
Open and close your conversation in a positive tone.
用肯定的语调来开始并结束谈话。
Fox example, if you’ve studied the company’s annual report – and you should have! – consider remarking on any great progress the company has made within the past year, or cite an area of company involvement that interests you.
例如,如果你研究过一家公司的年度报告--本来就应当这样做!--考虑一下对这家公司过去一年取得的重大成就做做评论,或提一下有这家公司参与的你感兴趣的领域。
When you leave, summarize why you’re the best candidate for the job and thank the person for his interest.
离开时,总结一下为什么你是这一工作的最佳人选并向面试者致谢。
Use a person’s name when talking. 谈话时,称呼对方的姓名,
It’s the best way to get – and keep – his or her attention.
这是引起面试者注意并使他记住你最好的方法。
And avoid verbal confusion. 避免语言

混乱,
As business consultant Marian Woodall says: “Poor communicators tend to talk in paragraphs. Successful communicators tend to talk in short sentences.”
商业顾问玛利亚?乌德而指出:"不善于交流的人通常成段地讲话,成功的交流者说话时则用简短的句子。"
Ask questions. 提出问题。
Too often when people meet, they feel uncomfortable about what to say after the introductions.
很多时候,人们相遇彼此介绍之后,由于不知道说什么而感到尴尬。
Almost everyone likes to be asked questions, so don’t be afraid to be the initiator.
几乎每个人都喜欢别人问自己问题,所以不要害怕成为先开口的人。
Finally, there is the matter of how you speak.
最后,还有一个你怎样说话的问题。
Any voice coach will tell you that you can learn to sound more relaxed and more confident.
声音教练告诉你可以通过学习让自己的声音听起来更放松、更自信。
One good technique is to record your voice on tape.
一个好办法就是把声音录到磁带上。
“As you play it back, pay attention to voice tones that sound apologetic, tentative, meek or imploring,” recommends management and communication consultant Norma Carr-Ruffino.
管理及交流顾问诺玛?卡尔?鲁费纳建议:"回放磁带时,注意那些昕起来充满道歉的、试探性的、谦恭的和恳求性的语调。"
As Christopher Lasch states in his book The Culture of Narcissism: “Nothing succeeds like the appearance of success,”
克里斯托弗?莱希在他的《自恋的文化》中指出:"成功的外表预示着成功。"
so take advantage of those first four crucial minutes.
因此,好好利用这最初关键的四分钟,
Look your best, speak and move with confidence – and the job you want can be yours.
展示最佳的形象,言语行动充满自信--这样,你就会得到想要的工作了。
第十五课
1、六年来,28岁的凯特白天上大学,晚上工作。
The 28-year-old Kate spent six years working at night while she attended college during the day.
2、我想要换一双长统袜,但觉得要是换的话,就要迟到了。
I thought about changing(交换) for another pair, but I knew I’d be late if I did .
3、我进去后,立刻为自己的糟糕形象向校长道歉。
I walked in and immediately(立即) apologized(道歉) for not looking my best.
4、我努力坐得让校长看不见这个小洞。
I tried to sit in a way that the headmaster couldn’t see the hole.
5、如果一个人在面试中不花点时间来展示她最好的形象的话,她会是怎样的一个老师呢?
If a person doesn’t take the time to present(呈现) her best image(肖像) at an interview, what kind of teacher is she going to be?
6、如果你在最初关键的四分钟内能给别人留下好印象的话,你所遇到的这个人就很可能会以为你做事总能

令人满意。
If you are viewed(观察) positively(肯定地) within the first four critical(临界的) minutes, the person you’ve met will likely assume everything you do is positive(积极的).
7、人们倾向把注意力集中在他们所看见的,所听到的,以及我们实际说的话上。
People tend to focus on what they see, on what they hear, and on our actual words.
8、虽然我们都知道“内在品质是最重要的”,然而研究表明,雇主一般认为外表引人注目的人更有才能、更惹人喜爱、更值得信赖。
We know “it’s what’s inside that counts(注意)”, but research shows that physically(身体上的) attractive people are generally regarded(关心) by employers(雇主) as more intelligent(有才智的), likable(可爱的) and creditable(可信的).
9、工作中,衣着必须传达出你有能力、可信任、具有权威等信息。
At work, your clothes must convey(传达) the message that you are competent(有能力的), reliable(可信赖的) an authoritative(权威的).
10、如果你要去一家从没去过的公司面试,但不知道穿什麽好,向这家公司要一份年度报告,研究一下照片上雇员的穿着,或者提前到这家公司去看看他们是怎麽穿衣打扮的。
If you are to have an interview at a company you’ve never visited and aren’t sure what to wear, send for(派人去拿) a copy of its annual report and study what the employees(雇员) pictured are wearing, or drop(随便访问) by ahead(提早) of time to see how they dress(穿衣).
11、你的一举一动都会在很大程度上影响面试者对你的印象。
How you move and gesture(手势) will greatly influence an interviewer’s first impression(印象) of you.
12、实际上,面部表情或语调同话语矛盾时,听者通常更注重非语言信息。
In fact, when our facial(面部的) expression(表情) or tone(音调) of voice conflicts(冲突) with our words, the listener(听众) will typically(代表性地) put more weight(分量) on the nonverbal(不用语言的) message.
比较:facial(面部的)——face 脸
13、如果面试者没有主动和你握手,那麽你就先伸出手来。
If the interviewer(面试者) doesn’t initiate(发起) the gesture(手势), offer your hand first.
14、控制身体语言,确保你显得并不过分急需这份工作,也不急于迎合别人。
Monitor(监控) your bady language to make sure you don’t seem too desperate(不顾一切的) for the job, or too eager(渴望着) to please.
15、如果你研究过一家公司的年度报告,考虑一下对这家公司过去一年取得的重大成就做做评论。
If you’ve studied the company’s annual report, consider remarking(评论) on any great progress(进步) the company has made withi

n the past year.

Text B

Bring Your Heart to Work用心去工作
A friend asked me to help train the staff of a telemarketing company.
一位朋友请我帮忙培训一家电话市场营销公司的员工。
While training the telemarketing staff in sales, I noticed agitation among them.
培训电话市场推销人员时我注意到他们中间有一种焦躁不安的情绪。
They were learning a new sales technology that combines trust, integrity and collaboration in supporting a client’s buying decisions.
他们正在学习一种融信任、诚恳和合作精神为一体的新的推销技术,以促进客户做出购买决定。
They worked hard and were excited about learning, but it was obvious they were not doing their utmost.
他们工作努力,学习时也很兴奋,但很明显,他们并没有完全投入。
By the end of the first day, I knew I couldn’t continue without a full understanding of what was going on with the team.
第一天培训结束时,我知道要是不了解他们工作小组内发生了什么,培训计划就无法开展下去。
“Is there a problem with you learning this technology?” I asked.
我问他们:"学习这个新技术,有什么问题吗?"
They sat silent. I waited for an answer. Finally, someone spoke.
他们默默地坐着,我等着回答。最后,终于有人说话了:
“It would be great if we could really use this technology. "
如果我们能真正用一下这个技术,那就太棒了。
I mean, I can see where it would really work, and I wouldn’t have to feel like I’m being so rude to the people I’m calling.
我是说,那我就能明白它在哪里能真正起作用,我也就不会感到我对电话那端的客户太粗鲁了。
But I don’t really think the company will let us use it.
但我想公司不会让我们用的,
They don’t care about people. They treat us like subhumans, use rude selling tactics for clients and only care about the profit.
他们上层领导不在乎别人的感受,把我们不当成人,对客户使用粗鲁的推销策略,他们在乎的只是效益。
If they found out we were using this type of approach, they’d put a stop to it.”
要是发现我们使用这种技术,他们会阻止的。"
I told the group I’d think about the problem and promised to assist them in finding a way to integrate the new skills.
我告诉他们我会考虑这个问题的,答应帮助他们找出应用这项新技术的办法。
They seemed to be happy to let me have a try, but unconvinced that I could make a difference.
他们很高兴我愿去试试,但仍不相信我会起什么作用。
Following the program, I went to the telephone bank where the sales people worked and watched while the company’s vice-president came over to speak with one of the salespeople.
按照培训计划,我去了电话工作室,推销人员在那里工作,每个人都在众目睽睽之下。这时公

司副总裁过来找一位推销人员,
He rudely interrupted her in the middle of a conversation.
他不顾她正同别人谈话,粗鲁地打断了她。
He then walked over to another person who was on a sales call and directly asked him why he had a personal photo on his desk, since none were allowed.
然后他又走到另一个正同客户通过电话商谈业务的人跟前,直接责问他为什么公司明令禁止,他却仍在桌子上放着张私人照片。
At the desk where I was sitting was a memo from the same man, telling people they had to wear suits the following day and keep their suit jackets on between 11:00 AM and noon because perspective clients would be coming through the office.
在我坐的桌子上放着一份来自这位副总裁的备忘录,通知员工因为客户要从办公室经过,第二天必须穿套装,上午11点到中午期间,必须穿套装上衣。
I waited until the vice-president went back to his office and knocked on his door.
我等着这位副总裁回到办公室后,去敲了敲他的门。
Since I teach collaboration, I decided to assume we were in a win-win situation.
既然我教授如何与人合作,我想我们会双赢。
He smiled and invited me to speak. 他笑了笑,让我说话,
“I’ve got a problem that I’m hoping you can solve.I’ve been hired to teach this new sales technology that really supports trust and collaboration. However, the participants are afraid to bring it back to their work.”
"我有个问题希望您能帮助解决。我受聘于贵公司,讲授一种新的推销技术,该技术强调相互信任、相互合作,但受训员工不敢把这项技术用到工作之中。"
He was a big man and an ex-Marine. 他身材高大,是位前海军陆战队队员。
He sat way back in his chair and rocked, smiling at me with a well-fed stomach.
他坐在摇椅上,整个脊背靠着椅背,摇动着椅子,面带微笑地看着我,挺着满是油水的肚子,
He replied, “If it makes money, why should they be afraid?”
回答说: "只要能挣钱,有什么害怕的呢?"
I took a good look at the man.
我仔细打量了他一番,
He seemed gentle, although his actions didn’t indicate that.
他看上去温和,虽然行为举止并不暗示这点。
“Do you mind if I ask you a really personal question?” I asked.
我问:"想问个纯粹的个人问题,和任何事情都无关,您介意吗?"
His smile broadened and he nodded as he rocked. I felt his acceptance of me.
他笑得更灿烂了,点了点头,仍然摇着椅子,我感到他已经接受了我。
“How do you function at work each day when you leave your heart at home?”
"把爱心丢在家里,你每天怎么工作?"
The man continued to rock gently, never changing his expression. I watched while his eyes narrowed.
他继续轻摇着椅子,表情没有丝毫变化,我注视着他,他眼睛渐渐地眯了

起来,
He responded, “What else do you know about me?”
回答说:"关于我,你还知道什么?"
“It’s confusing for me,” I ventured, "我不明白,"我冒昧地回答,
“You seem to be a gentle person, yet your actions don’t seem to take people into account. You’re putting tasks before relationship, but I think you know the difference.”
"您看上去和蔼,但您说话办事从来不考虑别人的感受,您把工作置于人间冷暖之上。但我想,您知道这其中的差别。"
He looked at his watch and asked, “Are you free for dinner? Come on, it’s on me.”
他看了看表问我:"你有空吗?一起吃晚饭吧,我买单。"
Our dinner lasted three hours. He recounted his Vietnam experiences as an officer who had to do had things to good people.
晚饭持续了三个小时,他讲述了他在越南战争中的经历 。当时,他是个军官,被迫对好人做了许多坏事。
He cried, and I cried. 他哭了,我也哭了。
His shame had kept him silent, and he had never discussed the experiences with anyone before.
耻辱让他沉默,在这天之前,他从未对任何人谈起过这段经历。
He spent his life believing that his goodness could hurt people, so he decided years before not to let his heart get in the way of his job. .
他认为他的善意会伤害别人,数年之前就决定不让他的心情干扰工作,
It was a pain he carried daily. 就这样,他天天带着痛苦。
His sharing gave me the permission to talk about one of my own pains in my life that I rarely shared.
他的讲述让我也谈起了很少提及的自己经历过的一段痛苦。
Together we sat with cold food, warm beers and tears
我们坐在一起,冷饭伴着温酒热泪。
The next morning he called me into his office.
第二天早上,他把我叫进办公室,
“Could you sit with me while I do something?” he asked.
"我工作的时候,你能和我坐在一起吗?" 他问,
Then he called in the salesgirl and apologized for being disrespectful to her in front of others.
然后叫进那位女推销员,对自己在众目睽睽之下对她无礼的举动向她表示道歉。
She was shocked and grateful. 她很吃惊,也很感激。
He then turned to me and asked, “Is there anything else that you think I should do?”
他转向我问到:"在你看来,我还该再做些什么?"
I thought for a moment and replied, “You may consider apologizing to the entire team.”
我想了想回答说:"你可以考虑一下,向整个工作小组道歉。"
Without hesitation, he picked up the phone and asked his secretary to call in the team for a quick meeting.
没有犹豫,他拿起电话,告诉秘书通知整个小组集合,召开紧急会议。
There, he apologized to the team for being disrespectful to them, and offered to make whatever changes they needed, so that they would want to come in to work each day.

上,他对自己的无礼行为向他们表示道歉。答应只要他们每天愿来上班,凡是他们的需要,他都可以改进。
He also wanted to learn my technology and offer it to his entire sales staff.
他说他也想学习我教的这项新推销技术,以便教给全体推销人员。
That was the first meeting I attended in this company.
这就是在这家公司工作之后我参加的第一次会议。
People who were looking for new jobs stopped looking.
此后,那些想换单位的推销员再也不想跳槽了。
People began to trust that being at work wouldn’t be harmful and might even be fun.
人们开始相信,工作没有什么害处,甚至还很有趣。
The seam supported the new collaborative sales approach.
整个小组都乐意采用这项以合作为基础的推销技术。
The vice-president began to use his new skills with other teams. And I got a new friend.
那位副总裁也开始在其他工作小组中使用新策略,我又交了个朋友。


相关文档
最新文档